Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ramadan started here on the 12th of September and it goes for a month. For more in-depth information on Ramadan click here.

I finally found a nice Western style cafe where I can study, use the internet, and gather with friends. Cafe Greco is about a 20 minute subway ride from my house and the ride is totally worth it. Finding this place has augmented my comfort level in Cairo substantially.

Prior to coming to Egypt I decided that if I found a good job in the Middle East I would take it. I knew before I left that my chances were slim but I wanted to take the risk anyways. I've started my research this week so I'll post an update and if anyone has any suggestions or advice please comment.

I ran into two Eritrean girls last night. I hear most Eritreans here are poor refugees trying to go to either Europe or the US but these girls were definitely well educated. They both attended American schools and are fluent in English. They promised to introduce me to the Eritrean community. Maybe I'll get some good Eritrean food soon.

Profile #2
Aisha is a graduate student from Uganda. Before coming to the American University she was a government employee. Leaving her post was a risk because in Uganda getting more education does not necessarily translate into a better job. Additionally, common among developing countries, a government job is a really good job to have. She came to the American University because she was desperately looking for change, self-improvement, and a new opportunity. According to Aisha, in Uganda it is possible to get an education, work really hard, and still get stuck doing nothing. A reality that leads to a sense of hopelessness for many.

Last week Aisha invited me to her apartment where she rents a room from a Ghanaian women. This women has been living in Cairo for ten years. She has a young son, Paul, who lives with her and her husband resides in Israel where he works to support the family. Aisha told me that it is now common for Africans to come to Cairo and try to get into Israel in order to find work. For black African men it is even more difficult because it is really hard to nearly impossible for them to find work in Egypt while they try to get into Israel.

Aisha is leaving the American University and heading back to Uganda on Saturday because she is convinced that a masters degree will never improve her financially. She decided that when she gets back to Uganda she will try to start her own business and see where it leads to.

I hope nothing but the best for her.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

http://fordfound.org/elibrary/documents/5073/pdf/Cairo_Overseas_Brochure_2007.pdf

Ford Foundation has an office in Cairo. Try to hook up with their office and perhaps opportunities may come up.

Senay