Ok, the title is a little harsh, but it seems to be fact. Today the internationally infamous and political legend Fidel Castro is passing his presidential powers to his brother as he recovers from surgery.
First, I don't believe he is recovery from surgery. I think he is either sick or healthy and pretending to be sick. Reason being, he does not want to give credence to the statement made by the US government that his death of imminent and that they were preparing to aid factions within Cuba transition into a democratic society. I know I'm speculating but the man just came back from a South American trip, in which he looked decent. Additionally, it has been known publicly for months now that he is sickly. To be frank, his days on earth are waning and he wants to maintain as much stability as possible.
Second, he wants to transfer his powers to his 75 years old brother Raul, like a real dictator. This is a good opportunity to have Raul take total control while big brother Fidel can keep a close eye.
I do not dislike Fidel. I think he as done some good things for his country and I believe the sanctions placed on Cuba by the United States are unjust and hegemonic in manner. He has done a great job with the Cuban educational system, particularly his medical programs. What does not sit well with me is his right to appoint his successor and to appoint his brother vexes me more. Though choosing his brother does have some logic; his brother is probably most aligned with him and would most likely carry on his policy and continue to oppose US pressure. I think nothing scares Fidel than to die and the US places an American friend government at the helm of the government, especially an American-Cuban.
With the waning of Castro's life, the death of Mrs. MLK, China and India becoming superpower capitalist states, among others, it illuminates that the world is in the mist of a transitional period into a new era. What is this new ear going to look like? Who will be the main political and economic actors in this new era? Yet, and sadly so, the only constant thing is the Middle East conflict, North Korea, and the relative poverty of Africa. Let the new era change these, though it will inevitably give rise to new social ills.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment