Monday, July 31, 2006

knowledge

John Locke argues that our mind at its original state is a "blank tabulate." Then goes on to precede that knowledge is derived from experience and reflection. So for example, when one sees the color green for the first time the sensation becomes etched in ones mind and henceforth one will have the knowledge of green. And thus, all knowledge is garnered in similar fashion. The attractiveness of this argument is its simplicity and,in some sense, seems obviously correct. We tend to learn things or come to have knowledge of something after we have come in contact with the thing. The counter argument, one posit by Locke’s professors and very popular in his time, is that all humans are born with innate ideas. The scholastic philosophers of Locke’s days were highly religious men who believed that God (Christian God) imparts on all men certain ideals prior to birth.

Another interesting thing about Locke is his belief, similar to Descartes, that prior to any philosophizing it is necessary to gauge the mind; that is, to know if the mind is capable of such an endeavor. So for Locke, before one can ask questions like "does God/god exist" or is "reality the way in which I perceive it," it is important to ask "is the mind capable of answering such a question?" For Locke, the mind is incapable of resolving certain philosophical problems.

So where do I stand in this historical argument, I like Locke. Though it is a bit premature for me to classify myself has a "Lockeian." It also may be possible that I prefer Locke because compared to the other philosophers I understand him, more or less. Specially, I too believe that knowledge is contingent on our experiences.

But how would Locke respond to human instinct? At birth human babies know when they are hungry, an example among many more. Are our instincts a form of knowledge, if so, how would Locke respond. Will Locke is died, so I'll ponder it myself. Additionally, I tend to be very skeptical of what the mind can know, at least where we are at the current state of humanity.

No comments: